Monday, November 14, 2011

The Pits

Back in the 90's, I worked at Disney. As a "Lead Control Stocker", I was in charge of ordering and receiving merchandise for various locations throughout the parks.
Hard physical labor getting pallets and cages of souvenirs from outside into the stockrooms. One particular stockroom we had was a giant tin box- no insulation, no air conditioner, no fan. Talk about sweaty and stinky. The only deodorant that would take away the self consciousness was Mitchem. High test, tons of chemicals (25% aluminum), smelled like a man but who cared because it wasn't the stench of sweaty pits.



Several years ago, I was blessed with the opportunity to go to Poland. On our tour, we visited the Wieliczka Salt Mine. Discussions on the medicinal benefits of salt- particularly for respiratory ailments- was prevalent on our bus. Another point of interest was the use of salt sticks in leiu of deodorant.

Whaaat?

After I thought about it, I realized that using high potent chemicals to eliminate odor and sweat- both of which are "natural" for the body to do- may not be a good thing.

I couldn't find salt sticks, but found and switched to a "natural" deodorant. No aluminum. I love this brand in particular because I can use it without the worry of smelling like a wet dog. I love this because I have no signs of sweat stains. None. Hot, yes, sweaty pits, no. Apply this daily.

After all these years, I finally found what I was looking for. A salt stick is actually a crystal!! They say these last up to 10 years. My first one lasted one day before I dropped and shattered it. No holder, just a slippery salty rock, um, crystal...
I bought this one because of the base. I dropped it because I didn't realize how heavy it was... Even broken, I use it every one to two days. Wet, apply, no worry. I feel confident I don't smell; I never have sweaty pits, and I will never go back to name brand aluminum containing antiperspirants nor deodorants- ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment